Please note that residence permit applications process changed from 20th April 2023. The application should be started online with providing all necessary data and attachments. Please visit!/login 

After filling the application, in-person appointments for biometrics and data checking can be booked on our online appointment booking system.

Know your visa type

Before applying, please ensure you are clear on your purpose of visit. You can pick your visa type from the "Residence in Hungary" menu here: 

Who needs a residence permit?

All non-Hungarian citizens with the exception of EU/EEA citizens have to have a residence permit if they wish to stay in Hungary for a period exceeding 90 days. For further information on residence permit please visit the website of the  National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing.

Where can I apply for a residence permit?

All long term visa applications should be launched online at!/login.

Second step is filling in your application and uploading appendices.

You can reach the list of documents for study and employment types; and for all others as well at

Third step is an in-person visit at the Consulate of Hungary after booking appointment.


Long term visa application is assessed and decided on by the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing. You must appear in person at our Consulate , as your biometrics (photo and fingerprints) will be taken on site.

If you are Hong Kong SAR passport holder or the citizen of another visa-exempt country, you can apply in Hungary directly at the Directorate-General for Aliens Policing upon your arrival.

How much is the fee of the residence permit application?

954 HKD, payable on-site by bank card. Please note that only card payment is accepted. We hereby inform you that our terminal cannot process prepaid cards. No cash will be accepted at our Consulate. We cannot accept any applications by Applicants who are not able to settle the fees by card on site. Such Applicants have to reschedule their appointments when they are able to comply with the payment method.

How do I get my residence permit?

You will be notified about the decision by the Consulate. Please be advised that during the time of the assessment, the Consulate will not answer any form of enquiry regarding the status or outcome of the procedure. If your application is approved, you will have to collect the residence permit (card)  itself in Hungary. We will affix a "type D" visa in your passport which is necessary for you to enter Hungary (and the Schengen area). 

When lodging the application, you are expected to:

  • Fill in your application correctly and upload all necessary documents.
  • Electronically book appointment
  • Present and hand over your paper application form duly filled and signed. Application form is free and can be downloaded from here after choosing your residence type at "Residence in Hungary" chapter. The the most common residence types are study and employment.
  • Present a passport with a validity of at least 3 months after the intended date of departure from the territory of the Schengen States or, in the case of several visits, after the last intended date of departure from the territory of the Schengen states.
  • Have a passport that has been issued within the previous 10 years and that has two blank pages next to each other.
  • Present 2 passport-size photos not older than 6 months. Please note that the photo has to be color one; head-dress is permitted provided that all facial details are clearly visible.
  • Pay the residence permit handling fee.
  • Provide all your supporting documents in paper that was previously uploaded.

Formal requirements and other important information:

  • Do not staple any papers together
  • Do not print any documents double sided
  • Complete all applicable questions on the form, do not omit any compulsory information
  • Sign the form at all designated places
  • Provide a complete set of supporting documents (meaning all compulsory documents listed by the authority based on your type of application
  • Mother's name on the form refers to maiden name (name at birth)
  • Glue one of the photos on the form in the designated box